WHAT YOU CAN DO:
FIND A CLASS SITE: Preferably clean and spacious, room for 24 students, storage space for 4 trunks of teaching gear, open evenings 6-10pm, low cost ($200-$400) or no cost. We could also give 2 students from the class location 1/2 price rate).
IDENTIFY PLACES TO POST HAND BILLS: Sporting goods stores, climbing gyms, mountaineering stores, EMT teaching locations, ambulance companies, search and rescue companies, scout groups, outing clubs, colleges, sports papers and newspapers.
GET THE WORD OUT: Talk to your friends and outdoor acquaintances.
FIND LODGING FOR TWO INSTRUCTORS: Basement, spare bedroom, attic, etc...
WHAT WILDERNESS MEDICINE OUTFITTERS WILL DO
- MAKE HAND BILL: poster for your class
- ARRANGE CHEAPEST TICKETS: takes at least 3 weeks to get the best rates
- ARRANGE SHIPPING OF TEACHING MATERIAL
- ARRANGE FOR TWO INSTRUCTORS: 1 lead and 1 senior instructor
- STUDENT PACKETS: make up packet with (WFA 50 - WFR 125) handouts and 2 books each
- PAY: Pay your class tuition based on 23 enrolled students
- BASE CLASS PRICE PLUS: airfare, lodging costs (if any) and $20 per day
- BOOKS, MATERIALS AND FEES: usually $49-$85
- EXTRA CERTIFICATIONS: American Heart Association, Wilderness Medicine Outfitters, and Colorado Department of Public Safety. National Association of Search and Rescue, National Registry First Responder, National Ski Patrol (O.E.C.) credentials all possible - ask for current details.
- WILDERNESS FIRST RESPONDER OR WEMT: 30 day preregistration cost $375, standard registration $395 plus costs listed above (item#1)
- COLORADO STATE FIRST RESPONDER EXAM: $25
- Advertise 3 months ahead at a minimum to give the class the best chance to fill.
- Combine, WFR Refresher / Wilderness Med I with WFR / WEMT
- Schools, churches, large stores, youth centers, forest service park centers and museums are good potentials for classrooms as well as good places to post hand bills.
- Most common class schedules in order of preference are 3 weekends and 6 of the 10 weeknights in between, 3 long weekends including Friday nights, or 9 consecutive days.
- Coordinate with the school director, Carl Weil or someone he specifically assigns you.